What is a Mode?
A mode is a fully customizable setting that triggers various actions and notifications. You use modes to tell Scout how to behave in different situations, whether you’re at home, sleeping, away, or on vacation. To arm and disarm your Scout Alarm, you’ll need at least one mode.
How can I use Modes?
Modes let you set automated rules for your Scout, based on settings and conditions you choose. Modes are organized into two sections: IF and THEN.
- IF indicates which devices trigger the alarm.
- THEN indicates which actions occur or notifications deploy when an alarm is activated.
For example, let’s say you would like your Scout to sound the siren when there is an active alarm. Within a specific Mode, you can tell Scout that IF a particular device is armed and the alarm is triggered, THEN Scout should activate the siren. We’ll cover THEN actions in greater detail down below.
How can I customize my Modes?
Your Scout starts off with four stock modes: Home, Sleep, Away, and Vacation. Each mode must be customized, including the four stock modes. You can add, delete, or rename modes at any time.
To configure your modes, follow the steps below:
- Open the Scout Alarm mobile app or web dashboard.
- Long press on a mode to reveal the Edit Mode page.
- In the IF section, select Add Device.
- Under Add Device, select which device(s) you would like the system to arm. Make sure the device is highlighted in blue, which means it’s enabled.
- In the THEN section, select how you would like your Scout system to react in the event of an active alarm. Again, be sure to check the desired actions are highlighted blue!
- If you are configuring your modes via the Scout web dashboard, save your preferences by selecting Done (located in the bottom right hand corner of the Edit Mode page).
What are the different types of THEN notifications?
Remember: THEN indicates the action that occurs when an alarm is activated.
In the THEN section, you’ll see several types of actions that can occur in each Mode, including:
- Countdown Chirps - If enabled, Scout will ‘chirp’ roughly once a second when a sensor is triggered and the system is armed. The chirp will continue until the system is disarmed or until there is an active alarm.
- Custom Alarm Delay - Use this notification to customize the amount of time to disarm your system before the alarm is activated. You can set the Custom Alarm Delay to any time between 0 to 60 seconds. The default disarm time is 45 seconds.
- If Professional Monitoring is enabled, Custom Alarm Delay is not available. The disarm time will be set at 45 seconds, and this cannot be customized.
- Siren - If this is enabled, the sirens in all door panel(s) and the Scout Hub will sound when there is an active alarm.
For example, you can configure your Away mode to sound the siren when there is an active alarm.
You can also set Scout to send you different types of notifications:
- Email Notification - Use this notification if you want Scout to send an email notification for each active alarm. If enabled, you will be prompted to enter the email address(es) that will be notified.
- Push Notification - Use this notification for admins and members to receive a push notification in the event of an active alarm.
- Please note: A push notification is a message that pops up on your smartphone. When push notifications are enabled, Scout can send messages for active alarms, offline sensors, and more – even when the app is not in use.
- Text/SMS Notification - Use this notification to receive a text message in the event of an active alarm. If enabled, you will be prompted to enter the phone number(s) that will be notified.
- Phone Notification - Use this notification to receive an automated phone call in the event of an active alarm. If enabled, you will be prompted to enter the phone number(s) that will be notified.
- Pro Monitoring (Always On+ customers ONLY) - If enabled, our Professional Monitoring service will call you in the event of an active alarm. Professional monitoring will dispatch authorities as requested OR if you cannot be reached. Learn more about Always On+ Professional Monitoring.
- Please note: For Professional Monitoring to be enabled, you must have an Always On+ plan. If you have an Always On+ plan and “pro monitoring” is not enabled in any of your Modes, you will not receive a phone call from our professional monitoring service and police will not be dispatched.
Is there a limit on the amount of Modes I can create and customize?
No limit! Feel free to make as many Modes as you like.
How can I change the alarm delay time with Professional Monitoring?
If Professional Monitoring is enabled, Custom Alarm Delay is not available. The disarm time will be set at 45 seconds, and this can’t be altered.
How do I arm/disarm Scout?
Learn more about arming and disarming Scout.
Are there any sensors that cannot be added to Modes?
Yes, the Scout water sensor cannot be added to your alarm modes because it triggers an environmental alarm. Environmental alarms trigger notifications whether your system is armed or disarmed; this ensures that you'll be made aware of changes in your location's environment right away.
All Admins at your location will receive a push notification if an environmental alarm is triggered.
To manage your Environmental Alarm notification settings:
- Navigate to the water sensor's device page
- Select Manage Emergency Contacts at the bottom of the screen
- Enter in the email addresses and phone numbers for anyone that would like to receive an e-mail, call, or text when the water sensor is triggered